has Anglo-Saxon origins, with ham meaning town or settlement
and ing denoting a tribal leader's sons, dependants or followers. Cottingham
therefore literally means 'homestead of Cotta's people', Cotta
('or Cotti') having been an Anglo Saxon chief. The same tribal name is found in Cottingwith (East Riding),
Cottingley (West Riding) and Cottenham (Cambridgeshire). There is also another
Cottingham in Yorkshire, with the same roots.
The spelling of the
has varied throughout history too. We find
references to Cotingeham in the Domesday
Book and Cotingham in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle.
In the 1162 and 1166 Pipe Rolls there are references to Cottingeham and,
in the 1343 Inquisitiones Post Mortem, Cotyngham and Cotynham.
acreage of the village is recorded as follows:
The 1887 figure has
been taken from an OS map, and the others from Kelly's
Cottingham is located in the county of Northamptonshire, which clearly derives
its name from the town of Northampton. This was the chief settlement on the
River Nene in Anglo-Saxon times. Formerly known as ‘Hamtun’, the town was
renamed Northampton after the Norman invasion in 1066 to distinguish it from
1066 until around 1841, the country's parishes were split into
administrative districts called 'Hundreds'. In
1086, Cottingham lay within the Stoke hundred
which was subsequently merged into the Corby Hundred.
1901, the civil parish of
was located in the rural district of Kettering and
the parliamentary borough of Northamptonshire. The ecclesiastical parish was
recorded as 'Cottingham (church of St Mary Magdalene)'.
The postal address for
Cottingham has changed through history too. In the 1954 Post Office directory it
is recorded as Cottingham, Rockingham, in the 1890 Kelly's Directory as
Cottingham, Uppingham and in the 1903 and 1914 Kelly's Directory as
Cottingham, Market Harborough.
For address purposes
only, Cottingham is now recorded as being in Market Harborough, Leicestershire.
modern map of Cottingham is available at www.multimap.com