The King's Head used to stand on Church Street.
A pub is listed on Church Street in the 1841 Census, 1854
Post Office Directory and 1881 Census. It would
appear that the Kings Head had closed by 1898 as there are no listings on
or after this date.
The archway to the left of the building still exists, which would have
allowed horse drawn carriages through into the courtyard behind the pub.
Between the archway and the pub stood the village
Reading Room. There was a hatch
in the wall between the Reading Room and the pub which can still be seen
today. Rumour has it that the ladies of the village weren't allowed in the
pub, so used to go into the Reading Room and have drinks passed to them
through the hatch!
1841 Census -
John Peake *
1854 Post Office Directory
Kelly's Directory - John Shaw
Harrod & Co Directory - J Shaw
1881 Census - John
and Rachel Shaw