Keeper's Lodge

1881 and 1901

The 1901 census lists Cardigan Farm Lodge, occupied by servant John Wardle, whose profession is recorded as cattleman on farm. In 1881, this lodge is listed as the 'Countess of Cardigan Farm Lodge' with William and Ellen Wilson in residence.

The Countess of Cardigan once owned land in the area. We get a clue to this from a Barnwell St Andrew burial record dated 3 September 1753 for "William Stanley (from ye castle) steward to ye Dutchess of Manchester & Countess of Cardigan for these and their adjoining lands & Manors". Thanks to Maureen Bryson for this information.

In 1881, Rockingham Park Lodge was occupied by Percy Loake and family and in 1901 by gamekeeper/tender Henry Loake and family.


South Lodge, occupied by Agricultural labourer Thomas Woolly, and family

East Lodge occupied by gamekeeper William Haylock and family

back to top of page

back to street index